[openbeosnetteam] Re: Realtek 8139 Driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:25:01 +0200 CEST

"Niels Reedijk" <n.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sure. But I am quite anal about our coding style, so if you have
> > any
> > worries, you better send it over to someone else - of course I am
> > kidding (except for the anal part ;-))
> I'll change the code style as soon as I'm in the process of cleaning
> up
> (I like the way it is coded now, but I am sure there are tons of
> people
> who don't agree). I'll send the driver to Philippe to be on the safe
> side ;-)

That's fine with me :-))

> > > I assumed that the kernel network stack would use a different
> > > API,
> > > because the API between the driver and the current net_server
> > > addon
> > > is private
> > > and thus undefined.
> > It's not private - it's defined and documented in the sample
> > network
> > driver from Be Inc.
> > We will continue to use it, at least for a start; we may
> > enhance/change
> > it a bit over time, though - but we'll always keep backwards
> > compatibility.
> I think I don't really agree there. For example, my driver wouldn't
> work
> with the realtek addon Be provided. The read hook wouldn't quite work
> together with what the add-on wanted. So I've written my own very
> simple
> addon.

Now I understand what you mean! But that's still not really correct;
the API to the net_server is public. But you can use an internal API to
your driver if you wish to - but since Be's Realtek driver also works
with BONE which don't use the add-ons anymore, it's safe to say that
also this driver will use the standard interface.
I would guess it's something else.

Adios...
   Axel.