[openbeosnetteam] Re: Mailing lists and network team questions

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:11:12 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:

just a minor observation: since our current networking stack is already integrated, and at least somewhat working - would it be more or less work to get it work correctly than porting a whole new stack (even if that stack would then be better)?

The netstack is absolutely not dead-lock free. It would take incredibly much time to get it working reliable. We might try to create a BGL around it, but seriously...we need something better. Also, some features in our netstack don't work (non-blocking socket?).

Just wondering if it's worth the effort. Also, if we don't intend to stick with the FreeBSD stack for R2, it makes the porting effort less valuable - plus, if that's the case, it would also doesn't make much sense to create BSD like APIs in the kernel, instead, it would be better to adapt the stack to our kernel.

I think that LWKT is a very valuable API, in general. We should use it in VFS, drivers, and everywhere possible. Maybe even export it to userland, so we can finally get rid of all those dead-locks in app_server, etc.
We need better, more productive, and safer APIs. We should use smart pointers and dead-lock free synchronization where possible. Unfortunately, we're not making use of tools that help writing better code.

That's why I think DragonFly is better.

Bye,
Waldemar