[openbeos-midi] Re: The SoftSynth

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:49:26 +0100

> I have study how "create" sound for playing at a
> different pitch. That work on Matlab for now. I
> know too how create reverb I just need some value
> more creating a nice reverb.

Very good to hear. So I guess we will have a softsynth soon ;-)

> And I try to implement that under BeOS, but must I
> understand the format of the synth file from BeOS because
> we can't use it (copyrighted or not). In this case we need
> a free sound bank format (SoundFont?).

As far as I know, the synth files from BeOS are not freely
distributable, so we can't use them. I don't have much experience
with SoundFonts, but they sound like a good alternative. Are there
any good, free, SoundFont banks out there that are not too big to
put in the final OpenBeOS download? (By the way, Michael Pfeiffer
already wrote some code to reverse engineer the format used by the
BeOS softsynth. You can find his code in
/current/src/tests/kits/midi/synth_file_reader.)

Matthijs