[omahaphpusers] Re: article referred at the meetup

  • From: Jay Hannah <jay@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: omahaphpusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:24:56 -0500

r chakravarthula wrote:
> A Test To See If You Write Sloppy Software
>
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/perdue20030310.php3?print_mode=1

I'm a tab bigot. Tabs bad. Spaces good.

In this example:

----------------
<?php

function my_function () {
    global $feedback;

    //code
    if ($error) {
        $feedback .= 'Could Not Perform Operation XXX';
        return false;
    } else {
        $feedback .= 'Operation XXX Successfully Performed';
        return true;
    }
}
?>
----------------

What is the scope of $feedback? Is it just global anywhere in any PHP
code for this web hit, or is it persistant across a session?

I assume PHP has a lot of fancy session management stuff? How do I store
variables into the scope of a session if I want to?

What do explode()/implode() do? How do I look up functions in a PHP
environment on Linux? In Perl if I wanted to know what the function
implode() did, I'd type "perldoc -f implode". Is there a PHP equivalent
to that?

How does job security fit into his 10 point rating system? -grin-

Thanks from the newb,

Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org
My favorite IE error: http://www.homestarrunner.com/systemisdown.html