[omahaphpusers] Re: June handout posted

  • From: Jay Hannah <jay@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <omahaphpusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:37:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Mat Caughron wrote:
> To address some of Jay's questions to the list, default variable scope is
> global (even across includes and requires) meaning that it works for that
> "hit".   Helpful scope examples here:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.scope.php

I'm fascinated by "user notes" in documentation. On that example above,
for instance, the 2nd note claims there's an error in the 14th or 15th
note which was posted 7 months before. I guess you have to take the user
notes with many grains of salt? Are notes moderated heavily by volunteers
to ward off mistaken information?

> For session-specific variable space, use the $_SESSION array after
> initiating a session with session_start().

I'm very interested in session management. Could that be a topic for an
upcoming meeting at some point?

> Here's the scoop on php documentation: to get details on a function, type
> in a url http://php.net/functionname.  If the function  name exists, it
> will give you the documentation for it, if not, it will redirect you to a
> google lookup with your search term.  Appropriately, see:
>
>       http://www.php.net/implode
>       http://www.php.net/explode

Cool. An extensive split/join family of functions. Combining preg_split's
flags w/ | is a new idea to me. I guess I'm used to brevity above all
else, which can make function use obscure, but always short. -grin-

> At the end of the meeting we touched on a topic for next month, which will
> be XML.  I am by no means an expert in this area, so would anyone else
> want to write up a one-page handout that we can talk over?

I would if I had a clue.

Clueless,  -grin-