[olofsonprojects] "It's written in Stone!"

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: olofsonprojects@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:05:43 +0100

From the SLAYRadio shoutbox:

        [We're discussing a user that is constantly spamming
         the song request list with the same ten or so tracks,
         greatly annoying other listeners, and as a side
         effect of global request restrictions, preventing
         them from requesting as they desire. I'm suggesting
         that he might be using a script to make the requests,
         and suggest some possible ways of making this harder
         to do. Then, an old idiom is thrown into the mix...
         (Some names and irrelevant posts removed.)]

- Slaygon:
        Andreas: Heh. You have your favourites, but they are
        not written in stone, as is the case with <removed>.

- olofson:
        Oh, my guess would be some scripting language rather
        than stone - but same deal. ;)

- Slaygon:
        Maybe the language is called "stone"? =)

- Slaygon:
        If it doesn't exist, I want to bloody write that
        scripting language!

- olofson:
        Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I've never heard of
        that... :)

- Slaygon:
        "Hey! What's this written in?" ...
        "In stone, what else?"

- olofson:
        Maybe I should rename EEL as Stone? :D

- olofson:
        ( http://eel.olofson.net/ )

- olofson:
        Actually, there doesn't seem to be any language
        named Stone...!

- olofson:
        Weird. I mean, THE major problem with naming anything
        is that all remotely sensible names are already taken.

- Slaygon:
        Exactly my point! And what better name for a language
        than Stone? I think it's just brilliant! Go and change
        eel to stone!

- olofson:
        Yeah, I might just do that! :)

- olofson:
        API calls would be named stn_SomeCall()... Should work.

So, I'm seriously considering a name change, unless there turns out to
be some major issue with calling it "Stone". (Changing to a proper
name has been up before, but there's been this "little" problem of
actually coming up with a name...)

Obviously, there'd have to be some changes in naming of symbols and
stuff. I'm considering switching to my "new" naming conventions while
I'm at it; ie prefix_BumpyCaps() for functions, PREFIX_ALLCAPS for
macros and the like, and PREFIX_BumpyCaps for types. So:

        STN_Object *stn_Load(STN_VM *vm, const char *modname,
                STN_SFlags flags);

File extensions would be changed from the current *.eel/*.eec to
*.stn/*.stc, and/or perhaps *.stone. (No real reason to stick with
DOS 8.3 naming conventions these days, but OTOH, short prefixes and
extensions are nice and handy.)

I'll think some more about this... Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

This would apply to the upcoming 0.2.0 release (which brings some API,
ABI and minor language changes anyway), and I have some hacking left
to do before that, so no panic. :-)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |