[ola] Re: Progressions

  • From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:36:16 -0500

To me, the issue of grammar and the issue of units are two separate issues.

I think there's a *lot* to be said for focusing on competencies rather than
grammar, as Arnold pointed out in a recent post to this group.

I'm becoming more and more skeptical, however, of the OWL belief in not
having units. For me, as a teacher, I find I can get in a rut and easily
not introduce nearly enough material. Often my best days (and I'm currently
*not* using units) are when I quickly grab onto something from the kids and
use it as a base for teaching a particular vocabulary area (yesterday we
did cleaning, for example). My current plan is to design units of
vocabulary for next semester to make sure I am teaching a breadth of
material and not getting bogged down with kids reviewing the same old words
or topics. I'll let folks know how it goes, but I am suspicious that
organizing my class into "units" will (A) give the kids a feeling of
security and structure (B) improve the variety of topics and engagement
that I get from kids (C) inspire me to do a better job bringing in L1 texts
and materials for kids to practice with.

Tom

--
Thomas Hinkle
English & Spanish Department Coordinator