[ola] Re: NEW Grading, rubrics and other issues

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tess.siemer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tess.siemer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ricardo <hurricanetumbao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:37:51 +0000

I started proficiency based assessment last year - this year I am doing a
modified version of it with 10% for cuaderno checks & quizzes and 90% for
on-demand assessments and conversation/speaking goals

for each assessment, I give students a different, yet similar rubric - each
assessment will receive 4-6 scores, based on how many standards are being
assessed (with scores of 1-4) - (possible categories: message, text type,
etc...)

I am not tying their proficiency level to their grade, but instead using it as
an indicator for growth over the year and to base the level of the class - ie.
where are we and where are we headed?

my students do performance-based assessments which are usually a one-on-one
interview with me or an on-demand role-play with a random partner and for
writing it is an on-demand assessment as well (answer questions, describe
pictures, etc..., not a standardized fill-in-the-blank test)

Students have the opportunity to re-assess up to two times during the semester
if they are not proficient (ie, scores of 1 or 2) - they must come in and meet
with me first - I find this time really helpful for me to work one-on-one with
kids who are struggling in class and it allows them a chance to improve and
show progress. Often times I will plan it so all the kids wanting/needing to
re-assess come in for a tutor session at the same time

Their score for OWL conversation goals and speaking standards will be
periodically updated in the gradebook, with the idea that by the end of the
semester, they are all at 3s and 4s (meets and exceeds) - they will also
self-assess on these periodically

I have lots of different rubrics I use, depending on the assessment, that I
would be happy to share -
For example: my first assessment in Spanish 2 is a series of basic questions
about self and daily life 1 (ie. biographical info, family, school,
date/time/day, weather, interests, etc...)  - I usually ask about 5-8 questions
with follow-up

What is still a big challenge for me is making the grading rubrics fair and
level-appropriate at the same time.
What is "exceeds standard" if most students should be at Novice Mid coming in
to Spanish 2? Should it be Novice High performance? Is "meets" Novice Mid?

This is why I don't tie proficiency levels to the grade, since really the idea
is that everyone, regardless of where they're at, improves and moves up a level
by the end of the year. Again, it's all new for me and something I am still
figuring out

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School