[ola] Fwd: Announcing ACTFL’s Spring 2012 Webinars

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanoshlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:47:08 -0700

Dear friends,

Since some of you are interested in grant writing but may have little
experience, I am posting below my application to my Union to attend these ACTFL
webinars using their professional development funds. If there are funds, I will
get them; if not, I'll use departmental funds or find them elsewhere. There is
a good rationale and a unique twist on attending a training. With grant
writing, you pretty much have to decide you're going to do it no matter what
and stop at nothing until it happens. It's not fancy, but it is to the point,
and there will be several people reading this with limited time to arrive at a
decision.

Another tactic I use is to speak with people about the idea beforehand. I have
spoken to one of our assistant principals and will also mention it to the
principal. In addition, I will run it by the person in charge of bringing this
grant to the union. By the time they receive the request, they will already be
familiar with it.

Hope this helps you as you are scrounging for $ for projects.

Take care,

Nanosh

Distinguished grant committee,

I am requesting a total of $385.00 to attend six hours of training on the
following topics:

1.     Learning Content through the Target Language

2.     Exploring Culture through the Target Language

3.     Maintaining Communication through the Target Language

4.     Integrating 21st Century Skills in Curriculum and Design

5.     Integrating 21st Century Skills in Language Assessment

6.     Integrating 21st Century Skills in Language Instruction

The American Council of Teachers of Foreign Language (ACTFL), the same
institution that develops national and worldwide standards for teaching foreign
languages, will present these trainings in the form of Webinars.

The first three webinars would pertain to my Spanish classes and are offered
during my fifth period Spanish 2 class. I would like the students to attend the
training with me. In recent experiences, I have found that students not only
enjoy being a part of the conversation that affects their learning in the
classroom, but they have very helpful suggestions for making the materials
student friendly. I have also invited Renée Bowman to bring her fifth period
class to the same trainings. We are permitted to have more than one teacher
attend on one account.

The second three trainings are likely to be too academic to hold much interest
for students, so I would require an in-house substitute for those trainings.
For a total of $60, this seems like a very good deal.

Please contact me if you have any questions about this request.

Warmest Regards,

Nanosh Lucas

Spanish Teacher

Phoenix High School