[ola] From Arnold

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanosh.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 07:36:15 -0800

Hi -

Just thought I'd add to the comments about the CEFR (Common European Framework
of Reference for Languages) ILR (Inter-Agency Language Roundtable) and the
ACTFL scale.

About 18 months ago ACTFL and CEFR signed an agreement of understanding. That
was the beginning of a cooperative effort to standardize proficiency standards.
If you look at the
levelshttp://www.coe.int/t/dg4/education/elp/elp-reg/Source/Key_reference/Overview_CEFRscales_EN.pdf
 (and there is much more her than just level descriptors) you will note a very
common thread of proficiency through the A level (roughly Novice &
Intermediate) B (roughly Advanced through Superior) and C (roughly Superior &
Distinguished) and the ACTFL Guidelines. The ILR is directly correlated to the
ACTFL Guidelines, being that the ACTFL Guidelines are built from the ILR
numeric levels to fit better into the world of education: you can imagine
telling your second year student that, after 2 years she is a "0" - try to
defend that to a parent. So ACTFL was born from the ILR numeric but they are
closely tied to the point of being interchangeable.

For further descriptors of performance (interesting to compare the CEFR and the
new "Can Do" statements - a cooperative effort between NCSSFL and ACTFL - as
they are beginning to merge) you can access the ACTFL "Can Do" Statements from
here:http://www.actfl.org/publications/guidelines-and-manuals/ncssfl-actfl-can-do-statements
 or here is the
PDFhttp://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Can-Do_Statements.pdf

A word about the Can Do Statements: I like to use them with students for them
to self-assess. Now, having said that, the one thing I think is missing is
this: when they check "I can do 'X' " is that they can do 'X' on demand or
after a period of practice or with help from another student, or with the help
of the teacher? Nevertheless, this is a helpful tool for self-assessments. I've
applied for a research grant to actually test (AAPPL) against what kids
self-assess at. Money and interest is limited for this but I will continue with
this effort.

Ciao for now,

Arnold

Sent from my iPhone