[ola] Building on Nanosh's activity

  • From: Ruth Whalen Crockett <rwhalen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 10:08:27 +0000

Last night during the OLA conversation Nanosh described a leadership activity
that he did with students where they break up into groups based on their
leadership styles. This reminded me of the Compass activity that I have done in
Critical Friends Groups and full faculty meetings. I have also led it in my
class.  Students self-identify their collaborative work style, get in groups to
describe how this style works best and works (and doesn't work) with other
groups of people. We then spent time reporting out and discussing how this
might inform our future work together as learners of Spanish. Of course,
because it is an OLA class, we did the whole conversation in Spanish. Here is a
link to the Compass Activity protocol in Spanish that can be found on the
School Reform Initiative website.  I have also included a couple other links of
protocols in Spanish that  I use in my OLA Spanish 5 class.  You may find them
interesting.

http://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/download/7%20Spanish%20Protocols/span_north_south.pdf
 (COMPASS ACTIVITY)

http://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/download/7%20Spanish%20Protocols/span_chalk_talk.pdf
 (CHALK TALK)

http://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/download/7%20Spanish%20Protocols/span_connections.pdf
 (CONNECTIONS)

http://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/download/7%20Spanish%20Protocols/span_3_levels_text.pdf
 (TEXT RENDERING: I often use this protocol when I have students work with
poetry or the lyrics of a song, it pretty much always rocks my world...always.)

Let me know if you have questions about how to better understand these
protocols. Oh, and what the heck are protocols? This is another term for
activities that tend to fit under time restrictions.  Don't be turned off by
the term.  I have my Critical Friends Coaches hat on.

Gracias,
Ruth