[ola] Activity Ideas

  • From: Kate FriendlyJones <kate.friendlyjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Darcy Rogers <darcy.rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nanosh Lucas <Nanosh.Lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:27:04 -0700

OLAers,

The following are a couple different activities I did with my classes.  I
think the idea can be adapted to whatever you are covering at the time.  It
provides opportunities for testing comprehension of common vocabulary of
the class, getting the class on the same page, seeing what the class knows,
having them create with the language.  Students can create skits out of
them and present them to neighboring partners, etc.

Sp III/IV & Sp II
I had two different colors of "papelitos" and gave each student one of each
color.  I the pink paper they wrote a question and on the white paper they
wrote a verb.  We crumpled up the papers and threw them in the middle of
the room.  Then, I say go, all the students run in and grab one of each
color. The read their questions and verbs to each other and then they try
to answer the question somehow using the verb!  We came up with some crazy
things.

Silla musicales:
Then we used the same "papelitos" with the verbs on them and taped them to
chairs that we organized for musical chairs.  If a student was got out then
they chose two students who read the verbs on their chairs and the student
who got out had to create a sentence with the two verbs.

Sp I
I had two different colors of "papelitos" and gave each student one of each
color.  I the pink paper they wrote a verb and on the white paper they drew
an animal and wrote the word for the animal.  We crumpled up the papers and
threw them in the middle of the room.  Then in partners they decided who
was A and who was B.  Then, I say go, either A or B runs in and grabs one
of each color. The read their "papelitos" to each other and then they
create a simple sentence with the animal and the verb.  You can then
encourage them to include an adjective and or an adverb.

Hope you all have a fabulous week!

~Kate

P.S. Please let me know if the list serve worked!