[oema] HR 2160 The Amateur Radio Emergency CommunicationsEnhancement Act of 2009

  • From: "Derek White" <Derek.White@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oema@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:27:53 -0700

I'm not sure if you saw this or not on the IAEM list (for those who are
members of that group)....

Derek White
Columbia County EM

From: les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: iaem-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [iaem-list] HR 2160 The Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
Enhancement Act of 2009
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:59:32 -0500

IAEM Discussion Group:
One of the most valuable resources to the emergency management
community are amateur radio operators. “Hams” provide a valuable backup
communications option that is largely independent of other
infrastructure such as commercial electricity, telephone, and Internet
connectivity.
History has shown that just when we think amateur radio has become an
unnecessary relic of an earlier era, natural or man made disasters
demonstrate how fragile our communications networks really are.
But hams face increasing opposition from both private deed
restrictions, and municipals codes that restrict their ability to erect
the antennas necessary for their operation. While these may be seen as
legitimate efforts to beautify a neighborhood, they do so at the expense
of our shared security.
There is currently a bill in the House that seeks to provide some
reasonable protection for these volunteers. HR 2160-The Amateur Radio
Emergency Communications enhancement Act of 2009 is gaining some
momentum, with three more cosponsors lending their support:
Congressmen — Geoff Davis (R-KY-4), Bill Posey (R-FL-15) and Michael
Turner (R-OH-3) — pledged their support for HR 2160
<http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2160:>,  bringing the
total number of cosponsors to 24, including original sponsor Sheila
Jackson-Lee (D-TX-18)
<http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/04/30/10792/?nc=1>.
HR 2160 is also sponsored by W. Todd Akin (R-MO-2), Michael Arcuri
(D-NY-24), Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD-6), John Boozman (R-AR-3), Madeleine
Bordallo (D-Guam), Bob Filner (D-CA-51), Bart Gordon (D-TN-6), Brett
Guthrie (R-KY-02), Maurice Hinchey (D-NY-22), Michael Honda (D-CA-15),
Mary Jo Kilroy (D-OH-15), Zoe Lofgren (D-CA-16), Blaine Luetkemeyer
(R-MO-9), Thaddeus McCotter (R-MI-11), Charlie Melancon (D-LA-3), Dennis
Moore (D-KS-3), Bennie Thompson (D-MS-2), Peter Welch (D-VT), David Wu
(D-OR-1) and Don Young (R-AK).
Nothing would enhance the chance of this bill’s passage than the vocal
support of professional Emergency Managers and organizations like the
IAEM, NEMA, APCO, and others. We urge these groups and concerned
individuals to “give back” to these dedicated volunteers by lending to
your voice in support of this legislation.

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111
Birmingham, AL 35216-3748