[obol] this month's OBA photo contest winner

  • From: "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 16:36:29 -0700

Matt Olson’s reaction when notified that he had won the May contest was
“Awesome!” We say congratulations.

Here are his remarks about taking the photo:

I love to visit the Fernhill Wetlands due to the abundance of Anna's
Hummingbirds. My wife was admiring the Tree Swallows and this little
pollen-covered guy buzzed in to let us know we were in his territory. He landed
on the perfect branch and sang his heart out aggressively toward us and I was
able to rattle off a couple fairly close shots. It was really just excellent
timing.

I've been taking photos since I was a kid, but I've gotten more serious in the
last 10 years and more enthusiastic in the last 3.

I love bird photography because they're everywhere and most people are unaware.
That's especially why I love Anna's Hummingbirds. I wait for the familiar
"screeching wheel" and I patiently follow until I find one that is willing to
pose for me. My website is www.matthewolsonphoto.com

I use a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a 100-400 L series lens.

Thanks again!

Matt

You can see his winning shot on the Oregon Birding Association home page at
www.orbirds.org