[obol] Re: thinking of rules for OBOL, from The Moderator

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 05:18:59 -0700

Folks,

First, a hearty thank you for all the comments. Personally I think OBOL works rather well, and I have zero desire to change the rules at all or put any kind of restrictions on posts other than what we already have. The number of complaints I get are extremely small, so why change anything because a few of us are a bit grouchy about this or that. Life goes on.

With that said, I got a good chuckle out of some of your comments. Paul suggested that some posts are too long, yet his post on the topic was the longest. Paul suggested it would nice if OBOL was like a newspaper and you can skip the sections you don't like. I think it already is like that, and you can use the delete when you like. Yeah, maybe there are a few studs in the center of the lek that really know how to strut their stuff, but there's a lot of others running around them having a lot of fun with extra pair copulation. I haven't heard too many of them complain about the fun they are having running around while the others boom. Sometimes being in the center of the lek is good, other times you're the target of the predator. We all find our niche. After all, those satellite males at the Ruff leks actually do pass their genes along just fine. And we all know the ladies are the ones who ultimately benefit, as either way they get what they want.

I forwarded that email only as a simple reminder to us regulars to play nice, and to point out to those that are intimidated, to please participate because the news depends on everyone to report it. It seems to me that we have come to the final conclusion we normally come to: OBOL is a big family, and we know we get to choose our friends but not our family, but we generally really need to deal with our family whether we like it or not. Except Crazy Uncle Ernie, we just use delete when he starts to rant his mumbo jumbo.

There's a COMMON NIGHTHAWK calling outside and the ROBIN is the first one to sing this morning in the thick fog. I LOVE Oregon.

Carry on.......

Cheers
Dave Lauten
The Moderator