[obol] the Frigatebird (my first impressions)

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 07:48:15 -0800

I've spent a good bit of time consulting:

Harrison P. 1985. Seabird:an identification guide. Houghton-Mifflin Co.
Boston.

Howell, S.N.G. 1994. A New Look at an Old Problem. Birding. 26(6): 400-415.

Howell, S.N.G., I. Lewington and W. Russell. 2014. Rare Birds of North
America. Princeton University Press.

I did not get nearly as thorough a look at the Seaside frigatebird as
others.  But based on what I noted, I strongly favor MAGNIFICENT
FRIGATEBIRD.  The bird had a very white head and pale bill, but I did
not see much white in the belly or pectoral region.

All references seem to agree that white should be far more extensive in
Great Frigatebird, both down the belly and laterally up the pectoral and
belly sides.

I have an appointment this morning, but will post an extended
description later today.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR