[obol] Re: raptor run Polk County south

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx" <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:50:30 +0000

Hi Stephanie et al,
It's important to note that the white-cheeked geese in your photos with the
"Snow" Goose are Cackling Geese–short necks and stubby bills–and not Canada
Geese. Even the smallest races of Canada Goose (Dusky and Lesser) would look
significantly larger in flight than any white goose. If these are Cacklers of
the subspecies minima, the dominant form in Willamette Valley wintering flocks,
then I would guess that the single white goose is more likely a Ross's Goose
rather than a Snow Goose. In terms of length and wingspan, Ross's are virtually
identical in size to minima, whereas Snow Goose is about three inches longer
(might not be noticeable in flight) and has an average wingspan that is roughly
ten inches longer than a minima (that much difference in wing length should be
pretty apparent). Your bird seems to be about the same size and wing length as
the Cackling Geese and when I blow up the photos a bit the bill looks pretty
short and stubby.
Single white geese consorting with minima Cackling Geese are often, if not
predominantly Ross's rather than Snows.
Dave IronsPortland, OR