[obol] Re: places to look for migrant loons, scoters, grebes -- a couple of notes on Wheeler Co. sites

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 17:58:37 -0700

Thanks Paul,

That's a good list. Just to give some updated info on the two Wheeler
County reservoirs that you mentioned:

Fopiano Res: (on Waterman Rd. north of Hwy 26, east of Mitchell) John Reuland
reported
that the water level was extremely low when he did the migration count a couple
of
weekends ago. However perhaps there is still some deep enough water at the
north end.

Painted Cove Reservoir at the Painted Hills: This is unfortunately no longer
accessible
to birders. The landowners have moved the "private property -- no trespassing"
signs
all the way out to the turnaround for the Painted Cove trail.

I was surprised to learn in July that the section of road from which we used to
scope
the reservoir has been private land for years, just formerly there was an
understanding
between the Park Service and the landowners to keep this open.

Theoretically it might be possible to pack a scope up up the Carroll Rim Trail,
and
scan the reservoir from above:

http://www.nps.gov/joda/planyourvisit/trails-at-the-painted-hills.htm

but I don't know anyone who has tried this. This also means no access to the
traditional
Tricolored Blackbird spot.

Didn't someone find a loon on Rowe Creek Reservoir once?

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier