[obol] observations on Western Screech-owl courtship

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 20:18:19 -0800

I live in NW Portland and hear Western Screech-owls singing in my yard at
least a few times each year.  Two years, 2007 and 2010, they nested in a
tree in our yard (which is rather small and has only 2 trees of decent
size).  But we've never experienced what has been happening this year.

We first heard one singing on January 12.  Then it was quiet until January
24 and I've now heard them 12 of the past 15 nights.  On many of the nights
we're hearing an obvious duet, with one voice at a noticeably higher pitch
than the other.  Several times we've been able to see 2 of them at the same
time.  They can only be heard from one side of our house and the only
effort I've made is to periodically go to that side to see if they're
calling; I also have help with my family members letting me know when they
hear it.  I haven't recorded it but believe 2 of the nights that I did not
hear them someone else in my family has.  There have also been frequent
nights when we've heard them at several different times during the night.

They have appeared, and sang, as early as 5:35PM but lately it's been about
5:45, which is in keeping with the later daylight.

So far I've not seen any in or near a nest hole, but suspect if they don't
nest in our yard again they will at least be nearby.  Per BOGR courtship
often occurs in January and February, but with the apparent intensity of
this courtship, I wonder if they may nest early.  For those wondering, the
only night I disturbed one was on January 24 to take a photo (
http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/); otherwise I am leaving them alone- no
flashlights, no tape playing.

Interestingly, one night I found 2 perched in the same tree less than 0.2
miles up the street from me, and then came to my yard a few minutes later
and found 2 there so apparently there are 2 pairs in the neighborhood and
they don't mind being somewhat close to each other.

Andy Frank