[obol] Re: natural nest sites for Barn Swallows

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:48:31 -0700

Matt,

So we have BARN OWLS and BARN SWALLOWS (not to mention Chimney Swifts and House Sparrows). What did these species use in the first million years of their existence before humans built the structures that became part of our name for these birds?

Clearly Barn Owls used cavities in hollow trees and cliffs. Swifts used hollow trees. The sparrows are weaver-finches that can build big messy nests in trees.

But what is the "natural" nest site for a Barn Swallow? Where would they be without porch overhangs, garden sheds, barns eves, and bridges? Good question. Kenn Kaufmann (Lives of North American Birds, 1996) says they used cliffs or shallow caves. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Barn Swallow in a "natural" nest site.

Cheers,

Paul

=================
Subject: Re: Cliff-nesting Cliff Swallows
Date: Tue Aug 6 2013 13:21 pm
From: matthewghunter AT gmail.com

Thanks for the note Marcia. Vague memories are sometimes the source of
interesting observations, so I appreciate you throwing it out there/here.

The most likely candidate for swallows nesting on/in a hill/cliffside along
a road in most of western Oregon is actually the Violet-green Swallow. ...

Regarding Barn Swallows, I have never heard of a
"natural" nest site for Barn Swallow in western Oregon. Anyone else?

Thanks,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR