[obol] my plea on Swainson's Thrush id's

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:45:23 -0700

  My big beef with the Swainson's Thrush reports is that none that I have
read have addressed a critical id feature on the birds.  Not the tail, but
the loral area, eye ring and face pattern. My wish was that Swainson's
Thrush reports contain a detailed description of the face pattern. I think
we would all learn a bunch on the actual arrival dates of these birds and
how to correctly id them.

And if you did not note the face pattern, how do you eliminate the various
forms of Hermit Thrush which are far more likely?

Bob Archer
Swainson's less in
PDX