[obol] more Calidris comments

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:38:10 -0700

   I'm out of bed, looking at Lars Jonssons Fåglar i Europa. Ed has provided a
wonderful series of pictures, with angles one seldom gets when needed most. In
addition to Bob Archer's notes--the dark crown of both Little Stint and Least
Sandpiper is separated from the bill by pale feathers, while in the Long-toed
"dirty-toned" feathers continue all the way to the bill and typically fuse with
the loral streak as well. In the Long-toed Stint the loral streak is usually
less defined than in the Least, and broken midway between bill and eye. I think
that's an accurate description of this bird. The dark centers of the scapulars
go all the way to the edge of the feather, ending in a very fine point. The
base of the bill in Long-toed Stints is typically pale in both adults and
juveniles. This is the only field mark I don't see.  Lars