[obol] lincoln birds, 2 TROPICAL K Waldport

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:18:39 -0700

I birded Lincoln Co with Hendrik Herlyn, Oscar Harper and Tristen Hynes today.
I left about 2:30 to come home; they may report additional birds.

Highlight and Lowlight at the same time were two KINGBIRDs, presumably
Tropicals, that we saw above the Waldport marina.  I say "above" because as we
got out of the car they apparently came up from the small shrubs in the
duneline at the SW corner of marina parking (the truck and trailer parking
area) and were blowing northward in the 30-mile winds.  Unfortunately as we
watched them, mostly silhouetted, they "flew" sideways clear across the
estuary, fetching up in the trees on the steep hillside below the fancy homes.
We never saw them again, even by scoping the trees.  The wind was a factor.  We
cruised the fancy house street and did not find them, but did see a Merlin and
a Greater Yellowlegs, the latter further up the bay.

Other birds of the day were a Red-shouldered Hawk and Lincoln's Sparrow behind
the Marine Science Center and some in-your-face looks at Common Loon and
Western Grebe along the Yaquina jetty.  By late morning the wind was a serious
factor and birding was limited.

I'll let H add any other notes.
.
.