[obol] goldfinch swarm at Koll Wetlands

  • From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Portland-area Birds Birds <portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:13:06 -0700

Two evenings ago (15 Sept) I stopped by Koll Center Wetlands in Beaverton and
witnessed an unexpected spectacle -- hundreds of American Goldfinches that I
can only describe as "swarming" over the bushes, weeds, and small trees at the
south end viewpoint (off Gemini St; I think "Creekside Seven" or some such
address?).  There were well over 500 of them; my conservative tallied estimate
for eBird was 475, but the actual number was certainly greater. At times it was
like a twittering carpet was rolling over the shrubs below the parking lot. At
one point I got a photo with 100 on the ground at once. The most interesting
aspect was that they would fly and cling to the vertical walls of the red brick
building there, several dozen at a time, and peck at the masonry, evidently
eating grit. I've seen Red Crossbills getting grit and salt from artificial
structures, and ash from campfires, but had never seen something like this from
goldfinches. The whole thing was a very engaging experience.   - Jay Withgott,
Portland