[obol] Re: frigatebird trivia

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 18:01:52 -0800

> But satelites didn't exist in those days ...

Satellites certainly existed 80 years ago -- the Moon, for one, and lots
more around Jupiter:

http://galileo.rice.edu/sci/observations/jupiter_satellites.html

But I guess we're talking about artificial weather satellites!

Cheers,
Joel

P.S. I checked the Adair Village sewage ponds today to see if
frigatebirds or any other exotica got swept in on this latest
"atmospheric river." I found basically the same collection of TEAL,
SCAUP, BUFFLEHEADS, and RUDDY DUCKS as were present all through January.

The numbers of Ruddy Ducks at this site (20+) continue to be noteworthy
for northern Benton County. Also interesting is that the males of both
Ruddies and Buffleheads are starting to come into breeding plumage.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis