[obol] fewer geese this winter

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:23:32 -0400

I thought there were noticeably fewer cackling geese in the Scappoose lowlands
this winter, as well as on other south Columbia County pastures and cropland.
The ducks didn't seem as plentiful either. The geese are not popular with the
local farmers at all, who put up large eagle cutouts and coyote cutouts to
deter them. At a SWCD meeting last night, one of the lowland farmers confirmed
my impression. He said that there were fewer geese on his fields, and that the
return of bald eagles may be the the reason. He is happy with the eagles and
coyotes. The sheep farmer, not so much.
Lona Pierce