[obol] birding apps

  • From: "Bruce & Katie Dugger" <tinamou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:37:17 -0700

Joel forgot my favorite: iPuke

This is by far the best app I've found for pelagic birding.  The screen
creates a swell that is slightly out of sync with the prevailing conditions.
This is guaranteed to make you feel ill, which invariably leads to others
seeing great birds while you recover on the boat deck.

Here's to dreaming of an el Nino induced rarity off shore this fall!
Bruce

Msg: #4 in digest
Subject: [obol] Re: birding apps
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:59:39 -0700

Not sure if I've mentioned these before, but these are the three mobile
phone applications that I've found most useful:

1) iShade : When dealing with bright sun, hold the phone over your eyebrows
for a better look at the bird.

You can also try this to shade your binoculars. Unfortunately some of the
newer phones (though thankfully not iPads yet) have gotten so small that
they no longer work for standard-sized bins. A hopeful development is that
some manufacturers have begun marketing "large-print" phones for members of
the Baby Boom generation.

2) iBall : Cover one eyeball with your phone, while you watch the bird with
the other eyeball. This gives you a 2-D view of the bird astonishingly
similar to what you'll find on most birding websites.

3-D views just bring in unnecessary complications, such as a sense of scale
which will only make it more difficult to turn that next Pectoral Sandpiper
into a stint.

3) iPayAttention : This is the simplest app to use. After you download the
app, just put the phone in your pocket, and your rate of birdfinding will
increase by up to a factor of three. The developer's advert claims that this
app also leads to seven times more keen observations of bird behavior,
though how they quantify "keenness" is anyone's guess.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier
Still happily birding in the paleodigital age Camp Adair area north of