[obol] Re: [birding] Are these what I think they are?

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charlotte Hottmann <kcshottmann@xxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:36:03 -0800

Muscovy Dux?

At first I thought of Blue Goose since back in the 1970s we used to get
a lot of strange-looking ones in winter at this place:
http://www.artbarbarians.com/gallery2/search.asp?mysearch=turkey&position=16
which by the way looked nothing like the painting by that time I was in
high school  ... it was more a sea of bare ground, mud and geese making
use of the warm effluent from the municipal power plant, behind a
chain-linked fence.

It would be remarkable to have Blue Geese so uniform in coloration. But
then I noticed that the red patch of bare skin includes the eye, so I
think these are Muscovy Ducks.

Happy birding,
Joel