[obol] Re: article on identifying long billed vs short billed dowitchers

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:44:06 -0700

Hi Stephanie and all:

Here are two links to what I consider to be excellent pieces on the two
species...

http://tgreybirds.com/Pages/LongbilledDowitcherp.html

http://tgreybirds.com/Pages/ShortbilledDowitcherp.html

The age and tertials are the key to making these Short-billed.  For the
rest of OBOL land, the reason the under wing came up was because I noticed
on her videos some of the Short-billed were flapping their wings.  I have
been working on iding dowitchers in flight.  Apparently the lesser under
wing coverts are white in Long-billed and barred in Short-billed and it is
a diagnostic feature..  I am not sure if this is true on juveniles as a
diagnostic feature. I can see the white as a flash when a group of
Long-bills fly by..on certain occasions...I have also been able to pull a
Short-bill out of a flying flock by not seeing the white. vice versa on the
coast.......but I have a lot of practicing to do on this.  In any case, I
rarely see videos of dowitchers flapping their wings , thus my request to
see if juveniles have bars on the lessers...They do not seem to be as
patterned as adults..any one else know anything on this feature on
juveniles?

Bob Archer

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx