[obol] amazing Anna's Hummingbird roost

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 06:30:21 -0800

While participating in the Lincoln City CBC our party led by Dick Demarest
came upon an amazing roost of Anna's Hummingbirds.

From the corner of Fleet Ave and 69th Streets in Cutler City there is a
short extension of Fleet Ave that leads to a view of Siletz Bay.  On the
east side of the avenue the second house has 3 hummingbird feeders on an
open deck.  Above the deck is a shore pine with a dead "witches broom," a
snarl of twigs with no needles.  The birds are using this broom as a roost
between visits to the feeder.

We counted 8 ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS perched on that broom at one time, like
live Christmas tree ornaments.  Add two birds in alder trees above the
house, plus uncounted birds in transit to the feeders, and you have an
amazing show.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville

Subject: Lincoln City CBC
Date: Sun Dec 14 2014 20:29 pm
From: acontrer56 AT gmail.com
I'm not sure when Dawn will be able to post, so I'll make a preliminary post
for the Lincoln City CBC. 128 species, most unusual Black-throated Gray
Warbler, Heermann's Gull.

Weird misses include snipe and killdeer. Coverage was pretty good in
pleasant weather.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx