[obol] a pelagic tern from Oregon

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:01:27 -0700

I posted photos of this tern a year ago or so on Frontiers.  Since then Owen
Schmidt has done as much research as possible from Oregon regarding the
identification of "Portlandica" Aleutian Terns, including getting help from the
museum that has the specimens of the birds that were collected off The
Philippines.   The purpose of this post is to ask what is wrong with the
possible field marks that Owen has cited.   Neither of us has seen every photo
or specimen of Common or Arctic Tern, so it wouldn't shock me if some or all of
the "diagnostic marks" mentioned are in fact not diagnostic.  So … help us by
showing photos of birds that disprove the usefulness of the marks mentioned in
the attachment.  Thanks for any efforts made.

Jeff Gilligan

Oregon, USA