[obol] Yaquina Head Rock Wren, late Lincoln Harlequin Ducks, etc.

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:23:16 -0700

Hello folks,

Today, I took a private client (who'd never been to Oregon before) on a
tour of the Lincoln Co. coast for Paradise Birding. Although bird activity
was rather slow overall, as can be expected this time of year (no
shorebirds and very few ducks), we managed to find many of our target birds
and a few unexpected surprises.

Best bird of the day was a ROCK WREN that hopped around the cliff face just
above the PEREGRINE FALCON nest at the Yaquina Head visitor center. We also
enjoyed the three almost fully grown falcon chicks in the nest (the parents
were not in attendance while we watched).

At Otter Rock, we found a group of 8 late (?) and very obliging HARLEQUIN
DUCKS. Other stragglers included 2 PACIFIC LOONS (Depoe Bay and Yaquina
South Jetty in Newport) and a GREATER SCAUP on Eckman Lake.

5 CASPIAN TERNS rested on a sandbar in Alsea Bay, and I saw 2 HEERMAN'S
GULLS at Depoe Bay while scoping our only BLACK OYSTERCATCHER of the day

A drive up Eckman Creek Road netted a small family group of GRAY JAYS, and
on the way back to Corvallis, we found an AMERICAN DIPPER near its nest
under the bridge at the Alsea Fish Hatchery along Hwy 34.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable day with sunshine and no fog on the coast,
and it was nice to escape the 90+ heat for the much cooler coastal
temperatures.

Good birding

Hendrik

--