[obol] Yamhill County Monday

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:20:24 -0700

Folks,

Our Monday morning 8:30am group found twenty-nine species of birds in
McMinnville’s Rotary Nature Preserve today.  Highlights:
  -first-of-the-year WILLOW FLYCATCHER
  -first-of-the-year WILSON'S WARBLER
  -first-of-the-year Swainson’s Thrush (dare we report this to OBOL?)
  -first-seen-of-the-year BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK

In the afternoon we toured a loop south of McMinnville.  Highlights:

 - WESTERN KINGBIRD on Burns Rd N of Whiteson near the farm with big
green-roofed horse barns.
 - BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER in bright breeding plumage W of Whiteson on
Riverbend Rd, at the first 90 degree corner.  Stunning!
 - an Osprey with a fish landed on an open plowed dirt field and proceeded
to eat its catch.
 - LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS in several farm field puddles
 - a Ring-necked Pheasant calling
 - Sora and Virginia Rails.
 - a fledgling BARN OWL at a hay shed, on a lone bale
 - our first COMMON YELLOWTHROAT of the season at the S Yamhill River bridge
on Amity-Bellevue Hwy
 - at the pond S of Amity off McKee Rd our first VAUX'S SWIFT and CLIFF
SWALLOW of the year.

Good birding,

Carol and Paul