[obol] Yachats shorebirds, and Bonaparte's Gulls

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 10:40:45 -0700

I ran on the beach south of Yachats this morning and was pleased to see
there are still many shorebirds around. There were also 58 Bonaparte's
Gulls in several groups. It was fun seeing the tremendous size difference
between them and the Western Gulls. Shorebirds seen over the 2 mile
stretch were:

20 Western Sandpipers
2 Least Sandpipers
12 Dunlin
2 Red Knots
3 Ruddy Turnstone
1 Whimbrel
1 Wandering Tattler

There was a 2nd Wandering Tattler on the rocky shore south of the beach
area.

As part of the Wild Turkeys birdathon that saw 3 Ruddy Turnstones in Bandon
on Friday, I couldn't help but wonder if these were the same birds, but I
suspect the ones seen last week would be far north of here by now.

Andy Frank