[obol] Woodpeckers ECAS Wednesday, mostly Deschutes County, 10/11 found

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:21:23 -0700

Seventeen of us visited Cold Springs, Trout Creek Swamp, Indian Ford CG and
Green Ridge with a focus on woodpeckers and passerines in the WP habitats.
The goal was all 11 local woodpeckers and we had 10 of them. But, no one saw
Pileated although we heard them in GW Burn drumming and calling and also
calling up on Green Ridge. White-headed was only seen by a few, at Cold
Springs campground. We searched for Am three-toed in 3 places where birders
have seen them in the past few weeks, including more than an hour in GW burn
where one was seen on Sunday, but we were unable to find one today. A heard
bird by one birder, in Trout Creek Swamp, could possibly have been one but
didn't make the list. So our score was 10/11. Not so bad but seeing a
Pileated would have made many birders happier. Watching Laz Bunting and
Green tailed Towhee helped to ease the pain. Black-backed and Lewis's were
lifers for some birders so all in all, a good day. Finishing with some
social time, with brewskis and burgers at the Sisters Theater was a perfect
end to a nice day in the forest.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

California Quail
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk, seen along 1018
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Dove, in Sisters
Eurasian Collared-Dove, in Sisters
Mourning Dove
Northern Pygmy-Owl, only heard briefly, not seen
Rufous Hummingbird, Penstamon in Bridge 99 burn hosts many
Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker, Cold Springs
Red-naped Sapsucker, Indian Ford. Cross other sites
Red-breasted Sapsucker, Cold Springs, GW along 1028
Downy Woodpecker, Cold Springs
Hairy Woodpecker, Green Ridge, Cold Springs
White-headed Woodpecker, Cold Springs
Black-backed Woodpecker, Trout Creek Swamp
Northern Flicker (
Pileated Woodpecker
Olive-sided Flycatcher, scope, 1018, calling
Western Wood-Pewee, mult sites, nesting along 1018
Dusky Flycatcher, along 1018
Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Whispering Pines CG, near creek
Western Kingbird, en route
Cassin's Vireo
Warbling Vireo. mult. Nesting Cold Springs
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Western Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler, along 1018
Nashville Warbler, 1018, seen GW burn
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Hermit Warbler, Whispering Pines CG near creek, in firs
MacGillivray's Warbler, close at Cold Springs
Western Tanager
Black headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Green-tailed Towhee, confiding GW along 2061, not so much 1018
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow, all over this year.
Dark-eyed Junco
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Cassin's Finch
Pine Siskin
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

Total number of species seen: 60
Birders today, PDX Candace Cobb, Jill Ward, Jerry Martin, Eugene Vicki Buck
and Sally Hill and locals, Steve Kornfeld, Merle Greenway, Cyndi Wicker and
Kent Jacobs, Kim Boddie, Dave Rein, Kelly Hazen, Sue Bertsch, Nancy Abrams,
Tim Smith, Sherrie Pierce, and Judy Meredith. Good birding, Judy,
jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx