[obol] Re: Woodpecker Ranking Quiz

  • From: Rob Conway <robin_birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 07:53:17 +0000

All,

New Mexico, like the winner Nevada, has a huge range of habitats stretching
from very high mountains to very high and low deserts, hardwood (mostly pecan
and oak) forests as well as huge areas of various Montane forests, and a number
of riparian corridors that include the Rio Grand.  As well as some great border
habitats that stretch well into Mexico.

It's not just woodpeckers.  I subscribe to the NM RBA and it is usually 10X the
size of Oregans - with many neo--tropicals (Hummingbird wonderland) and
marshland species (Bosch del Apache) Whooping Cranes, Neo-tropical Cormorants,
Rufous Necked Wood Rail!!, stray gulls and other seabirds from the Gulf of
Mexico, Gulf of California, and Pacific, and wanderers from Mexico that may
only penetrate a few miles into NM.  What is even better about NM is that those
specialized habitats are well defined and birded regularly by large numbers of
people.

Rob Conway
Camas, WA (formerly Farmington NM)
45.58°N 122.44°W - elevation 310 ft.