[obol] Western Scrub-Jay Caching Peanuts

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:17:55 -0800

We have a neighbor who puts out whole un-shelled peanuts.  Not sure if she
is feeding birds or squirrels. Nonetheless, we regularly have WESTERN
SCRUB-JAYs using the edge of our roof and gutters to break the shells, but
today I found one caching the whole peanut in our lawn.  The Western
Scrub-Jay hopped around looking for a suitable location, testing as many as
six crevices before finding a suitable one.  After carefully placing the
whole peanut beneath the grass, the bird then painstakingly selected 5
individual leaves and arranged them one at time concealing its cache.

I was not aware of this behavior before today.

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon