[obol] West Tillamook Raptor survey, Tropical Kingbird, Pygmy Owl

  • From: "dawn v" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:57:10 -0500

Fun but cold day in Tillamook yesterday - at least the morning was cold. I got
up there early and nosed around Goodspeed Rd before starting - one of the
TROPICAL KINGBIRDS was still there, hunkered down near one of the houses in the
frosty morning. Photos here
http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/IMG_9375_1_zps6141ef8e.jpg.html

Ken and I ran the Tillamook West Raptor route under beautiful, sunny skies. We
saw 8 species and tallied 77 individuals.

American Kestrel - 5 (I don't think we saw this many in any month last year)
White-tailed Kite - 12
Rough-legged Hawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 3
Peregrine - 3
Bald Eagle - 13 adult, 2 sub-adult
Northern Harrier - 11
Red-tailed Hawk - 27

On the drive home, I was startled to see a NORTHERN PYGMY OWL in a small tree
along Hwy 101 (about halfway between Sandlake Rd and Blaine Rd) - turned around
and went back for photos, but traffic was heavy and the bird flew just as I was
getting situated along the side of the road. The trees (spruce, maybe?) were
about 6-8 ft tall, looked like the owner of the house/farm had planted a row of
them to block highway noise.

Fun day!

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott
dvillabirds.blogspot.com
www.tillamookbirder.com
"Destiny, I feel... is a play between divine grace and willfull self-effort"
(Gilbert)