[obol] Waterfowl at Smith & Bybee and Avian Botulism -- Current Response

  • From: Katy Weil <Katy.Weil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:48:20 -0700

Due to an outbreak of avian botulism at Smith and Bybee, Metro will be doing
some light hazing of waterfowl primarily during dawn and dusk using handheld
pyrotechnic launchers. We will be concentrating mostly on the southern end of
Smith lake, the channel between Smith and Bybee, and the southwestern end of
Bybee. We are aware of the use of the site by shorebirds, and will be extremely
careful around any areas where there are shorebirds resting and foraging during
fall migration. Signage is posted at various locations around the natural area.
Please do not hesitate to contact Katy Weil at Katy.Weil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with
any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and understanding during
this time.

Katy Weil
Senior Analyst -- Natural Areas
Metro Sustainability Center
600 NE Grand Avenue  Portland, OR  97232
katy.weil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:katy.weil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
503-797-1688 (office) 503-970-9423 (cell)
503-797-1849 (fax)

Metro | Making a great place
www.oregonmetro.gov<http://www.oregonmetro.gov/>