[obol] Wasco & Sherman Counties Trip Report

  • From: Bill Bradford <billbradford1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 17:00:00 -0700

We made a loop around Sherman and Wasco counties last weekend, taking
advantage of the warmer weather and camping along the Deschutes River.
Highlights:

* During a quick stop at the mouth of the Deschutes (Heritage Landing) we
saw two first-of-season CASPIAN TERNS and a HYBRID N. FLICKER.

* Six WILD TURKEYS were at the northern end of Sherman County, including
three males in full display.

* We were delighted to find two ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS (Finnegan Rd in Sherman
Co; Bakeoven Rd in Wasco Co). It's nice that there are a still a few
Roughies around.

* SAY'S PHOEBES have definitely arrived and can be found throughout the
area. We saw 10+, mostly along fence lines near farms.

* We spent the night at Beavertail Rec Area and woke to the sound of CHUKAR
clucking on the hillside above us. Beavertail Rec also had the best mammal
sighting of the weekend: six Bighorn Sheep on the opposite side of the
river.

* TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS can still be found on Victor Road, about a mile
north of Hwy 216.

* There were two COMMON LOONS on Pine Hollow Reservoir.

Bill Bradford & Lora Minty