[obol] Re: Wagtails/Western Scrub Jays in Newport

  • From: michael medina <aiwetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:52:04 -0800

Funny story:

I saw a male Vermillion Flycatcher just a few days before the 2001?
Christmas bird count in Sedona, AZ.  IIRC, this was the *first* winter
record of a Vermillion Flycatcher there.

I reported it to the local Audubon people and then proceeded to participate
in the Christmas bird count.

Word got around to me later that the local Audubon "head person" didn't
believe my sighting and wasn't going to record it.

Word also got around to me that 3 days later this same person sighted, in
their back yard, (close to my sighting) what they termed the "first winter
record of a Vermillion Flycatcher in Sedona".

Funny thing is, is that I was a working wildlife biologist at the time and
had been for the last 5 years.  If anyone was keeping count, I actually out
performed the other Christmas bird counters in my group also.  More first
sightings and more accurate and quicker field identifications, even of life
birds for me (but I let the locals confirm all my new-to-me birds).

Best part - A week later I was in the AZ Game and Fish office to train for
their Bald Eagle nest watch program and I was talking to their records
keeper about the bird.  He looked it up and saw the other person's
recording and amended it to reflect my earlier sighting and gave me credit.
 He didn't bat an eye at my "credibility".

Wagtails, I haven't really been reading the thread.

Michael Medina