[obol] Volunteer Opportunity:Seeking Mistletoe Bird Foraging Observations

  • From: "Mary Anne Sohlstrom" <masohlstrom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 20:05:51 -0800

Howdy OBOL – I happen to be a Master Naturalist, a great program through OSU
Extension – if you are interested in the program – contact me and I’ll send you
some information.  Jason, the program director sends out Volunteer
opportunities from time to time.  This one looks like it is made for the
Christmas Bird Count Season or for any of you who are just out and about  in
the appropriate habitat. I contacted Dr. Shaw and asked if you would like to
have this posted to OBOL, so I am passing it along.  Have fun!

Mary Anne Sohlstrom
masohlstrom@xxxxxxx
Seeking Mistletoe Bird Foraging Observations

http://avianmistletoe.forestry.oregonstate.edu/

As cool fall weather approaches and leaves begin to gather on the ground
beneath the oak trees, you may notice something special if you look up in the
treetops.  Clumps of Pacific mistletoe, known to scientists as Phoradendron
villosum, are slowly being revealed in the canopy.
Mistletoes are a group of shrub-like flowering plants that parasitize both
coniferous and deciduous trees.  There are many species of mistletoes, some of
which can only parasitize one host tree species.  In the Willamette valley,
Pacific mistletoe mostly parasitizes Oregon white oak, though it can sometimes
use pin-oaks and other ornamental trees.

Although mistletoes are parasites on trees, they can benefit other organisms in
many ways.    Across the globe, mistletoes may be keystone species, increasing
biodiversity by providing a host of resources for wildlife including nutritious
fruits and leaves, increased leaf litter, cavities for nesting and dense cover
and loose bark for sheltering. A recent study by Dr. David Watson of Charles
Sturt University in New South Wales, Australia found that 20% of bird species
disappeared from a forest after mistletoe had been removed. Watson believes
that this decline in bird diversity may be due to the loss of resources
provided by the mistletoe.

Scientists know that mistletoes are generally good for wildlife, but there has
been no research on the effect Pacific mistletoe has on wildlife in western
Oregon.  Drs. David Shaw (Oregon State University College of Forestry) and Joan
Hagar (U.S. Geological Survey), as well as graduate student Kyle Pritchard are
trying to find out if and how mistletoe benefits overwintering birds in the
Willamette Valley.  Understanding which bird species utilize mistletoe berries,
and how mistletoe is dispersed is a critical link in the ecology of the system.
You can help by volunteering to report sightings of birds foraging on mistletoe
berries this fall and winter.  Volunteers can report their sightings online at
the Avian Mistletoe Project website
(http://avianmistletoe.forestry.oregonstate.edu/).  Please include detailed
location descriptions or coordinates if possible, along with any feeding
observations.  Your data contributions can help us better understand the role
of this fascinating parasite in Oregon ecosystems.

http://avianmistletoe.forestry.oregonstate.edu/