[obol] Re: V-g Swallow nest

  • From: "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>, "OBOLINKS" <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yamhillbirders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:42:42 -0700

Floyd,

I find that the V-Gs show up in my yard in March, but after pairing up and
scouting out a box to use, they only come around on nice days. Eventually they
build, but if the weather is cool, they go off to lower elevations, presumably
to feed in moderate areas over water. Since there is a lot of competition from
House Wrens here, we have boxes all over the place, and the swallows,
unfortunately for following their progress, choose the ones that are harder to
watch. Three weeks to a week and a half ago, they were gathering bits of dried
grass and some feathers. Until there are young and I can see fecal sacs being
dropped, I tend to hear them before dawn and see little activity during the day.

Pamela Johnston