[obol] Updated Bird and Mammal Photos from Northern BC/Yukon Trip (Stewart-Cassiar and Alcan Highway)--Off Topic

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 04:57:36 +0000

Hi Obolers:

Here is a link to my recent bird, mammal, and scenery photos from an impromptu
trip to Northern BC this late August. My partner and I, started in Prince
George, BC and drove northwest along the Stewart-Cassiar Highway and connected
northeast via the Alcan towards Fort St. John, BC and then southward, to Prince
George, BC.

It was our first time to the Stewart-Cassiar Highway, and the main attraction,
besides birds, were totem poles. We weren't disappointed by the magnificent,
artistic cravings. The rest of the trip produce great birds, mammals, and
scenery. The Stewart-Cassiar is a well maintained road that winds through 725
km of beautiful mountain valleys and plateaus between the Skeena Valley and the
Alaska Highway in southern Yukon. Wildlife is rich, with moose, wolves, and
both Grizzly and Black bears being common.

Not the best time of year to bird in terms of species diversity, but I am
always drawn by the wonders of the North and birding in remote places covered
by few birders.  I highly recommend that you do this trip during your lifetime
and soaking at Liard's Hotspring is a MUST. A boreal forest with beautiful
plants surround you near the beautiful hotsprings with rich birdlife!

One of my favorite moments during the trip was near Pink Mountain, BC. It is
here in the 5-6 hours spent, that we found Willow Ptarmigan, 12 Dusky Grouse,
18 Ruffed Grouse, and 5 Spruce Grouse (Taiga form). While admiring a family of
Rock Ptarmigans, a pair of Smith's Longspur scurried right by me! It was really
cool to see Dusky Grouse on colorful tundra within a few hundred yards from the
Rock Ptarmigans.  There were also four American Golden-Plovers at the summit!
En route to the summit, a "Blonde" fox, Black Bear, and group of Stone Mountain
Sheep delighted us. Yes, I love the BC and Yukon area!!

Other fun birds seen during the trip but not photographed were Bohemian
Waxwings, White-winged Crossbills, LeConte's Sparrows, and Connecticut Warbler.

Feel free to ask me any general questions about the area.  Most of the photos
were taken with my point-and-shoot camera of 4.0 megapixel and 15x zoom and
iPhone camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23662496@N02/

Enjoy the photos and hope it inspires you to go someday!

Peace, love and good birding

Khanh Tran
www.ktbirding.com