[obol] Understanding

  • From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 13:50:21 -0700

I've always been of the opinion that animals have and show feelings for their fellows and this was exhibited again this morning. Kei and I were going into town and passed a crumpled bunch of feathers in the road. At the same moment a female California Quail ran out to the feathers and stood by them almost to the second we passed before running back to the safety of the ditch and again after we passed I could see her running back into traffic to 'stand by her man' so to speak. We turned around and returned to the dead male quail which I picked up and tossed towards the calling female. We left before observing whether the female again came to be with her mate.

We've all seen and heard of similar examples and have heard the general 'poo-poos' of people who don't understand. We do, understand, that is.

Kevin Smith