[obol] Turkey behaviors

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:16:16 -0700

Hi Obol,

This time of year we have quite a bit of Turkey traffic in the yard. At one
point there were six tom Turkeys scratching around out there. They
more-or-less got along, but there was evidence of a pecking order. When
watching one tom intimidating a second tom, it made me think of a drill
sergeant bearing down on a private, ala Sarge and Gomer Pyle-style. (Boy,
that dates me!)

Sarge and Gomer: https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/6m0K4z

I had been watching a hen with her three poults in the yard, very cute! I
looked away to wash dishes when I heard the hen squawk. Looking out the
window I saw one of the poults fly into a shrub. Apparently the neighbor's
dog came galumphing over to chase them (bah!) and they all scattered in
fright. By the time I got my camera the hen was trying to round them up.
You can see her searching for them, and also see one of the poults in the
shrub, calling for mom. Eventually she got them together again, and all was
well.

Turkey poults flee dog: https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/6230V2

Displaying toms are a regular sight in our yard, and this one decided he
wanted to use our front porch for a stage. He was performing for two hens
standing about 8' from the porch. They ignored him, of course, but that
didn't dampen his spirits. After a while they flew across the trickly brook
that is next to our house and landed a few yards over. Well, that deflated
Proud Tom, and off he went to find them again.

Proud Tom on stage (the porch): https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/96dyY2

Lori Markoff

Eugene