[obol] Tualatin Swans

  • From: troodles1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:31:01 +0000 (UTC)

Yesterday on Tualatin Sherwood Rd and 115th in the wetland there were 10 swans,
great egret, GBH, lots of pintails, American Wigeons, Ring Neck Ducks,
Shovelers, Mallards, Gadwals. It was a banner day at the pond

#1: From: Lyn Topinka <pointers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Lady Scaup question ...
#2: From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Tropical Kingbird at Hatfield Marine Science Center (
#3: From: Harry Nehls <hnehls6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] RBA: Portland, OR 11-14-13
#4: From: Harry Fuller <atowhee@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] ASHLAND RED-NECKED GREBE CONTINUES
#5: From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: Broughton Beach Pacific Loon, Hayden Island - 12
#6: From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Harris's Sparrow E. Seaside today
#7: From: Dwight P <gpic4dp@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Redhead- Force Lake (Multnomah)
#8: From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] 11/14/13 - Baker County : LONG-TAILED DUCK(S)
#9: From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: Jo Co Blackbird flock
#10: From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Re: Broughton Beach Pacific L
#11: From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
#12: From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Sauvie Island Ross's Goose
#13: From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Additional Baker City LONG-TAILED DUCK photos
#14: From: Jean Baecher Brown <jeanbb24622@xxxxxxxxx>
#15: From: "Charles R. Gates" <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Prineville Sewer Ponds Long-tailed Duck

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:36:45 -0800
From: Lyn Topinka <pointers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all ... have a question ... on the female Scaups, does that white
patch between the bill and the eyes have a formal name ??? ...

anyways, whatever it is called, Gene and I saw 2 female Scaups at
Hayden Island today where that white patch was ORANGE ... does anyone
know why ??? ... very striking ...

found no Long-tailed Duck, but the Clark's Grebe is still there ...

Lyn
Vancouver, Washington

Lyn Topinka
http://NorthwestJourney.com
http://ColumbiaRiverImages.com
http://TheBarlowRoad.com
http://RidgefieldBirds.com

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:41:47 -0800
Subject: [obol] Tropical Kingbird at Hatfield Marine Science Center (Lincoln Co
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

Daniel Elbert saw a Tropical Kingbird on the south side of the USFWS
building on the south end of the OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center
campus today (Nov. 13).

--
Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 23:55:18 -0800
From: Harry Nehls <hnehls6@xxxxxxxxxxx>

- RBA
* Oregon
* Portland
* November 14. 2013
* ORPO1311.14
- birds mentioned

Snow Goose
Ross�s Goose
Brant
Mute Swan
Cinnamon Teal
Long-tailed Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Pacific Loon
Horned Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark�s Grebe
Pelagic Cormorant
Pacific Golden-Plover
Rock Sandpiper
Red Phalarope
BLACK-HEADED GULL
Band-tailed pigeon
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER
Say�s Phoebe
Tropical Kingbird
LARK BUNTING
Red Fox Sparrow
Harris�s Sparrow
RUSTY BLACKBIRD
Bullock�s Oriole

- transcript

hotline: Portland Oregon Audubon RBA (weekly)
number: 503-292-6855
To report: Harry Nehls 503-233-3976 <hnehls6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
compiler: Harry Nehls
coverage: entire state

Hello, this is the Audubon Society of Portland Rare Bird Report. This report
was made Thursday November 14. If you anything to add call Harry Nehls at
503-233-3976.

A LARK BUNTING is now being seen on Bayocean Spit at Tillamook Bay. On
November 10 an immature YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was near Bend. A possible
BLACK-HEAD GULL was reported November 9 in Corvallis. The LaGrande
Red-bellied Woodpecker, the Hillsboro RUSTY BLACKBIRD, and the Monmouth
Sewage Ponds RUSTY BLACKBIRD continue to be reported.

On November 10 a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER was on the North Spit of Coos Bay.
Two TROPICAL KINGBIRDS are now at the Science Center on Yaquina Bay. A late
oriole, probably a BULLOCK�S ORIOLE was seen November 11 in Newport. On
November 10 a ROCK SANDPIPER was seen on Barview Jetty at Tillamook Bay. Up
to nine MUTE SWANS were seen during the week at the mouth of the Necanicum
River at Seaside. A HARRIS�S SPARROW is now coming to a feeder in Seaside.

On November 12 a PACIFIC LOON was on the Columbia River off Broughton Beach
near the Portland airport. . Water birds are now gathering on the Columbia
River off Hayden Island. During the week 60 WESTERN GREBES, a CLARK�S GREBE,
RED-NECKED and HORNED GREBES, three RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and a
LONG-TAILED DUCK were seen there. On November 7 a PELAGIC CORMORANT was
photographed there. On November 11 six CINNAMON TEAL were at Ridgefield NWR.
A BRANT and a SNOW GOOSE were at Tualatin NWR November 9. A BRANT was seen
November 8 at Baskett Slough NWR. A ROSS�S GOOSE is now being seen at Blount
Swale near Canby

On November 10 a HARRIS�S SPARROW was at Haystack Reservoir near Madras. A
RED PHALAROPE was at Hatfield Lake near Bend November 13. A BAND-TAILED
PIGEON was seen November 7 in Bend. A RED FOX SPARROW was in Bend November
12. On November 11 over 11,000 SNOW GEESE were at Cold Springs NWR near
Hermiston. The LaGrande Sewage Ponds LONG-TAILED DUCK continues to be seen.

That�s it for this week.

- end transcript

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:58:05 -0800
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee@xxxxxxxxx>

http://atowhee.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/ashland-pond-looking-ducky/
--
Harry Fuller
author of FREEWAY BIRDING, see: *freewaybirding.com

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:58:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: Broughton Beach Pacific Loon, Hayden Island - 12 Nov

The Pacific Loon was still there this morning, the 14th, around 10:45.
Another birder and I saw it clearly through my scope from the River Patrol
dock looking west out beyond the next structure (piling or dock or
something). So it was not seen from Broughton Beach but farther west. The
usual grebe species were also present.
Beverly

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:52:42 AM UTC-8, Jay Withgott wrote:

> Yesterday, 12 Nov., I checked the Columbia River at Hayden Island and
> Broughton Beach. Five grebe species and a Pacific Loon were among the
> highlights:
>

> Broughton Beach:
>
> 1 PACIFIC LOON
> 1 Red-necked Grebe
> 1 Eared Grebe
> several Horned Grebes; good # of Common Goldeneye on WA side; very few
> scaup; 1 Thayer's w/ gulls
> 3 Common Loons on WA side
> 1 Merlin flying over from OR to WA
> 1 Horned Lark
>

> Columbia Pt., Hayden Island:
>
> 1 Clark's Grebe w/ 49 Westerns
> 2 Common Loons (1 on each side)
> several Horned Grebes
>

> Jay W, Portland

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:32:09 -0800
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>

Seaside, Clatsop County, Oregon 1335
I walked from my house to the area where the HARRIS'S SPARROW is ranging. I
took about 10 minutes before I saw the bird with other Zonotricha sparrows
in the blackberries at the dead-end of Ave F in the Neawanna Creek
floodplain Birders living in the house at the east end of Ave F on the
south side of the street are friendly and feeding the birds. They reported
the sparrow. More later. I just got home and am off to work this afternoon.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:48:24 -0800
From: Dwight P <gpic4dp@xxxxxxxxx>

A single REDHEAD was with a group of CANVASBACKS at Force Lake around noon
today.
Photo- http://www.pbase.com/image/153378573

I also saw the PACIFIC LOON and a RED-NECKED GREBE at Broughton Beach
reported by Beverly Hallberg (thanks for the scope views Beverly).

Dwight Porter
Portland, Oregon

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:01:23 -0500 (EST)

Birders -
I drove through Baker City this morning (11/14, 10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.am.),
and stopped at the Frontage Road Ponds (aka UPS Ponds). My first stop at
the south pond had bunch of the usual ducks. I could see some water
movement near the north edge, and just assumed that the activity was created by
Muskrats. Whatever it was, it was spending more time under water than
above. Then the culprits became apparent - a male and female LONG-TAILED DUCK.
A first for me in Baker County. I snapped a bunch of photos and called a
handful of Baker birders. A photo of both birds can be viewed here:
Good birding,
- Trent
The Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds
1707 5th Street
La Grande, OR 97850
(541) 963 - 2888
avitours@xxxxxxx

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:45:58 -0800

Hello all~
I was able to refind the YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD and 3 TRI-COLORED BLACKBIRDS
(2 males & 1 female) in the massive blackbird/starling flock south of Lower
River Rd. The flock was closer to the south end of Hunt Ln when I arrived and
then it moved west into the pumpkin field directly south of the the junction of
Lower & Upper River Rd. http://goo.gl/maps/Krf1m
There may have been a female Yellow-headed Blackbird and more female
Tri-colored Blackbirds, but the flock was very distant. The YELLOW-HEADED
BLACKBIRD that I saw was an immature male, but it didn't have much (any?) white
in the wings and I was never able to locate it in flight when the flock flew. I
only saw it on the ground.
Also in the area were 9 GREAT EGRETS (Hunt Ln), 5 AMERICAN PIPITS, 1 SAY'S
PHOEBE and some geese.
At Lake Selmac, there was a female GREATER SCAUP, a female NORTHERN SHOVELER
and 10 RING-NECKED DUCKS. There was also an immature OSPREY, a very
fresh-looking bird with a scalloped appearance to the dorsal side of the
back/wings.
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Re: Broughton Beach Pacific Loon, Hayde
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:19:49 -0500

Wintering Common Loons are probably best photographed in harbors (Ilwaco,
Westport) or estuaries/inlets (Newport Bay) off the outer coast. Westport, WA,
is particularly good for Common. Damon Point State Park in Ocean Shores is very
good for Red-throated in fall. You might catch them in breeding plumage in fall
or again in spring. They are not uncommon along the Columbia River, but may be
too far out for getting shots. Hagg Lake is good, but again the birds are
usually too far out.
Sometimes loons will stop over in fall at smaller lakes and molt may render
them flightless (like a Yamhill Co Pacific Loon did a few years ago) for a few
weeks. This is a good time to pull the trigger and get your shots.
Common Loons do not breed in OR (neither do Pacific and Red-throated) and only
very sparsely in Northern WA state on the east side of the Cascades. The
Okanogan usually has a couple of breeding pairs. Occasionally Common Loons
summer in OR. Only rarely you can hear them yodel in migration, but I have
heard it a couple of times.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:29:59 -0800
From: smithsteno@xxxxxxxxx
To: portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Re: Broughton Beach Pacific Loon, Hayden Island -
12 Nov

So I'm pretty new at birding and am mostly interested in photographing them, so
pardon my ignorance! Can anyone suggest where to get a good shot of any of the
local loons? Do they winter over here? I've always wanted to hear their call.
Where/when would I be able to hear them around here?

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:52:42 AM UTC-8, Jay Withgott wrote:

Yesterday, 12 Nov., I checked the Columbia River at Hayden Island and Broughton
Beach. Five grebe species and a Pacific Loon were among the highlights:

Broughton Beach:

1 PACIFIC LOON

1 Red-necked Grebe

1 Eared Grebe

several Horned Grebes; good # of Common Goldeneye on WA side; very few scaup; 1
Thayer's w/ gulls

3 Common Loons on WA side

1 Merlin flying over from OR to WA

1 Horned Lark

Columbia Pt., Hayden Island:

1 Clark's Grebe w/ 49 Westerns

2 Common Loons (1 on each side)

several Horned Grebes

Jay W, Portland

and change your settings. There is a message archive.

---

"Portland Area Birds" group.

to portland-area-birds+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

------------------------------

Msg: #11 in digest
From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:30:38 -0800

Ditto on everything Stefan says. However, I'd add that the relatively modest
number of loons along the Columbia in the Portland region DO in fact spend a
fair amount of time close to shore within reasonable distance for photography
-- e.g. every one of the 6 loons I saw the other day was quite close to one
shoreline or another. The challenge with the river is that the access points
can be difficult (and sometimes dangerous, along Marine Drive), such that the
birds are not always close to the spots where access is easiest and safest. ...
As far as hearing them, as the new eBird reviewer for Clackamas County, I
recently learned that several birders were hearing them call quite a bit this
fall (Oct mostly) up on Timothy Lake. I don't know whether those birds are
still around or how normal it is to hear them calling there.

------------------------------

Msg: #12 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:50:07 -0800
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>

The ROSS'S GOOSE found yesterday by Scott Carpenter on Sauvie Island was
still present this afternoon. It was in the field behind the Sauvie Island
Dog Kennel across from Coon Point. As reported by Beverly Hallberg on the
Portland Area google group
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/portland-area-birds there
may be two present. The geese were actively feeding and at times were
partially or totally hidden by corn stalks. There were several Snow Geese
present. When I saw the Ross's, it was quite distant and viewing
definitely required a scope.
Andy Frank

------------------------------

Msg: #13 in digest
From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:58:40 -0500 (EST)

Birders -
After seriously looking at the nearly 500 snaps I took of the Baker City,
OR. LONG-TAILED DUCKS, I thought I should share a couple other views:
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/avitours/LTDUt1_zps560b2afc.jpg
Good birding,
- Trent
The Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds
1707 5th Street
La Grande, OR 97850
(541) 963 - 2888
avitours@xxxxxxx

------------------------------

Msg: #14 in digest
From: Jean Baecher Brown <jeanbb24622@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:05:28 -0800

Yes, on the high mountain lakes. We had them at Crescent Lake in October and
they often hang around into the winter...so cool to see and hear them on a
crisp clear winter day with all the snow!
Jean Baecher Brown
jeanbb24622@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------

Msg: #15 in digest
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:52:31 -0800
From: "Charles R. Gates" <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>

Today on the Prineville Sewer Ponds, I found a Male Long-tailed Duck in
Alternate plumage and a male Eurasian Wigeon. Near the new sewer ponds,
Cindy Zalunardo and I found two Short-eared Owls and two Ring-necked
Pheasant hens.

--
Chuck Gates
High School Teacher (Retired)