[obol] Tropical Days S. Coast 10/18/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:27:25 -0700

After a soggy morning it cleared and temps were up around 70F on the
beach.  I threw on some shorts and headed out to the beach with Teak. We
spent a couple hours walking but could not refind the TROPICAL KINGBIRD at
the old Weyco pond site out on the north spit of Coos Bay.  After returning
to the truck I decided to drive south a couple miles to the end of the
road- at the end of the road was a flycatching TROPICAL KINGBIRD.  I think
there is a fair possibility it was a different bird than the one further
north the past couple days.  About 5 minutes after seeing the kingbird Tery
Wahl called to tell me he was looking at three Tropical-Ks(!) about 40 feet
apart on the family ranch near Cape Blanco.

Earlier in the AM I saw a getting-late YELLOW WARBLER at the BLM office in
North Bend.

A bit later I drove around the bay to Empire/Charleston where I saw ELEGANT
TERNS in small groups from about the Empire boat ramp all the way out past
the jetties.  I think there are easily 30 to 40 still around.

Gorgeous afternoon!

Merry October,
Tim R
Coos Bay