[obol] Trip results: August 2, 2013 deep water pelagic

  • From: "Greg Gillson" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 22:46:42 -0700

On Friday, 23 birders headed west at high speed from Newport, Oregon on a "Leach's Storm-Petrel and Scripps's Murrelet Search Trip."

We started in fog and drizzle and very flat seas. By 11 a.m. we reached 1000 fathoms, 60 miles offshore, and quickly found and photographed both our target species. But the fun had only begun! The sun came out. Every tiny piece of flotsam beyond 50 miles of shore had an Arctic Tern resting on it. Red Phalaropes were everywhere. No mega-rarities showed after three hours in deep water.

The captain was keen to head back inshore where he learned there was a hake (Pacific whiting) fleet. He desired to see another "white albatross," as it had been several years since he last saw one. Summer is not the expected season for them. But we found the fleet... and the albatross. Flocks of jaegers, primarily Long-tailed, were attacking flocks of Red Phalaropes and Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels. Spouts from Fin Whales hung in the air in every direction like mushroom clouds in a scene from an apocalyptic movie.

You will definitely want to check out my trip photos:
http://www.pbase.com/gregbirder/20130802_newport

The entire trip list is below. It includes birds and other life from bay to 70 miles offshore.

1 LAYSAN ALBATROSS
264 Black-footed Albatross
81 Northern Fulmar
431 Pink-footed Shearwater