[obol] Towhee diversity at Jackson Bottom Wetlands

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 06:35:08 -0800

OBOL;

Yesterday I was at Jackson Bottom Wetlands in HIllsboro.  Due to all the
recent rains, the majority of the wetlands is under many feet of water.
Probably as a direct result of all that vanished ground, the towhees were
forced to the remaining high ground.  I found an amazing concentration of
SPOTTED TOWHEES under the bird feeder behind the Visitor Center.  I had 12
birds at one time.  Among the "normal" looking towhees we typically see
here, I found a few that had a lot more spotting on their wings/backs.

While subspecies are complex, often subtle, and not covered well in field
guides, the birds I saw yesterday appear like those shown in field guides
as coming from inland locations (Great Basin/Rockies, perhaps closer?),
mingling with our darker more coastal races.

Photos can be seen in my eBird report: (Scroll down once in the report for
images)

Whatever they are, it's fun finding variety in the common birds we
sometimes take for granted.

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR